Monday, February 25, 2008

WARNING!! WARNING!!

This picture may be too graphic for small children or wimpy adults.

This is one of my childhood favorite meals. The mass of shredded stuff at 12 o'clock is sauerkraut. The hunk directly to it's left is pork ribs which has simmered in that kraut all day. The gray sphere at the bottom of the plate is a potato dumpling. That dumpling cooked probably weighs in at about 1.5 lbs. To eat this properly you need to cut up the dumpling into bite size pieces. Next slather soft butter all over the pieces allowing it to run all over the plate. Next spear a piece of dumpling well up on the tines of the fork. Then with exposed tines scoop some sauerkraut onto the end. With your free hand grab onto an exposed end of a rib and alternately bite pork and dumpling mixture. Continue until satisfied or gacked out whichever comes first. Finish off the meal with stories about how weird and goofy your parents were. My kids were never too pleased when this was served at my house. Usually was chorused by lots of gross innuendos. Well tonight I fixed this and ate it all by myself. The only part missing was the stories, but trust me when I call all my sisters later we will no doubt have a few good ones to share. By the way my other ethnic friends whom eat menudo, haggis, rocky mountain oysters and such, don't be making fun of my German food!!

1 comment:

Kathleen Lee said...

OMG! Not one of my childhood favs, but I have grown to love it. I didn't have any ribs, but made sauerkraut, kielbasa and cabbage last week. I like to put it over mashed potatoes (although it was sans butter this time. Not a very pretty dish though, is it? But, yum.

Thanks Pam!

About Me

My photo
I am a true native Idahoan, Born at the old St. Als that used to be downtown. I am 51 and I have been married 32 years to the same man. Gasp...I think I just got a small electrical shock. I have 3 grown kids, and 4 grandbabies.